Performance of 0. 75 mm pitch MWPC'S operating at high rate [electronic resource].
- Batavia, Ill. : Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, 1989. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 6 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Three Multiwire Proportional Chambers (MWPC) with high rate capability have been constructed for Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory experiment 705 (Charmonium and Direct Photon production by ..pi../sup +-/, p and /bar p/ at 300 GeV/c). Each chamber, with a sensitive area of 308 cm/sup 2/, consists of three anode planes, wound with 12.5 ..mu..m diameter gold-plated tungsten/rhenium wire, facing 25 ..mu..m graphite-coated kapton cathode planes at a distance of 3 mm. Wire spacing in two of the MWPC (PC-B1 and PC-B2) is 0.75 mm and 1.00 mm in the third one (PC-B3). After a few weeks of running on ''Magic Gas'' with a beam flux of up to /approximately/10/sup 7/ particles/cm/sup 2/sec, severe damage occurred to the graphite coating. All cathode planes were replaced by aluminized kapton, and the chambers worked successfully for the next 3 months until the end of the run, when a 10% efficiency drop was observed after a total accumulated charge of /approximately/1 C/cm of sense wire. After the end of the run the chambers were disassembled and inspected. A white deposit with a characteristic ''wire pattern'' etched away from the Al coating was observed in the region of the beam spot. 10 refs., 8 figs., 1 tab.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1989., "fnal/c-89/21-e", " conf-881103-47", "DE89007483", IEEE nuclear science symposium, Orlando, FL, USA, 9 Nov 1988., and Chen, T.Y.; Cox, B.; Conetti, S.; Delchamps, S.; Kuzminski, J.; Fortney, L.; Etemadi, B.; Arenton, M.; Marchionni, A.; Stairs, D.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14401177