Process research progress report, March 1--31, 1948 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1948.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 21 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Treatment of Hot Liquid Waste: According to the Eimco Corporation, the filter on order in to be shipped the first week of April. Sketches have been prepared giving the general location of the Eimco filter and equipment to be used in testing the unit. No suitable gauge is available for the tanks to be used in the W. D. Building for storing corrosive solutions. A gauge, to be fabricated from polystyrene, has been designed. Treatment of Hot Solid Burnable Waste: Construction of the model incinerator has been completed. A general discussion of the problem and design of the incinerator is included in the Detailed Report. Some time has been spent gathering together material for the final report covering the experimental work on the disposal of ``hot`` liquid wastes. Recovery of Bismuth: Further work an the electrolytic extraction of bismuth has indicated that the formation of the bismuth deposited on the cathode in neither influenced by etching the electrode with nitric acid nor by varying the cooling rate of the cast electrode. A near theoretical yield was obtained (2.58 g./amp./hr.) by enclosing the cathode in a screen, of glass cloth. The diaphragm, in all probability, reduces the amount of chlorine near the surface of the cathode with a resulting diminution of the reaction between chlorine and the bismuth metal.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Monsanto Chemical Co., Dayton, OH (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14404453