Chan : an ancient Maya farming community / edited by Cynthia Robin ; foreword by Diane Z. Chase and Arlen F. Chase
- Additional Titles:
- Ancient Maya farming community
- Gainesville : University Press of Florida, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 392 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Robin, Cynthia and Society for American Archaeology. Annual Meeting (73rd : 2008 : Vancouver, B.C.)
- Introducing the Chan site : farmers in complex societies / Cynthia Robin -- pt. 1. Time, space, and landscapes. A changing cultural landscape : settlement survey and GIS at Chan / Cynthia Robin, Andrew R. Wyatt, Laura J. Kosakowsky, Santiago Juarez, Ethan Kalosky, Elise Enterkin ; Ceramics and chronology at Chan / Laura J. Kosakowsky ; Agricultural practices at Chan : farming and political economy in an ancient Maya community / Andrew R. Wyatt ; Agroforestry and agricultural production of the ancient Maya at Chan / David Lentz, Sally Woods, Angela Hood, Marcus Murph -- pt. 2. Life in a farming community center. Ritual in a farming community / Cynthia Robin, James Meierhoff, Caleb Kestle, Chelsea Blackmore, Laura J. Kosakowsky, Anna C. Novotny ; Nonroyal governance at Chan's community center / Cynthia Robin, James Meierhoff, Laura J. Kosakowsky ; "Empty" spaces and public places : a microscopic view of Chan's late classic West Plaza / Bernadette Cap -- pt. 3. Diversity across the Chan community. Recognizing difference in small-scale settings : an examination of social identity formation at the Northeast Group, Chan / Chelsea Blackmore ; Organization of chert tool economy during the late and terminal classic periods at Chan : preliminary thoughts based upon debitage analyses / Nicholas F. Hearth ; Limestone quarrying and househould organization at Chan / Caleb Kestle -- pt. 4. Bodies, material culture, and meaning. The Chan community : a bioarchaeological perspective / Anna C. Novotny ; Creating community with shell / Angela H. Keller ; Obsidian acquisition, trade, and regional interaction at Chan / James Meierhoff, Mark Golitko, James D. Morris ; Contextualizing ritual behavior : caches, burials, and problematical deposits from Chan's community center / Laura J. Kosakowsky, Anna C. Novotny, Angela H. Keller, Nicholas F. Hearth, Carmen Ting -- pt. 5. Conclusion. Learning from an ancient Maya farming community / Cynthia Robin.
- Mayas—Agriculture—Belize River Valley (Guatemala and Belize)—Congresses
- Mayas—Land tenure—Belize River Valley (Guatemala and Belize)—Congresses
- Mayas—Belize—Cayo District—Antiquities—Congresses
- Mayas—Belize River Valley (Guatemala and Belize)—Antiquities—Congresses
- Excavations (Archaeology)—Belize—Cayo District—Congresses
- Excavations (Archaeology)—Belize River Valley (Guatemala and Belize)—Congresses
- Excavations (Archaeology)
- Mayas—Land tenure
- Belize River Valley (Guatemala and Belize)—Antiquities—Congresses
- Chan Site (Belize)—Congresses
- Cayo District (Belize)—Antiquities—Congresses
- Belize—Cayo District
- Belize—Chan Site
- Central America—Belize River Valley
- 9780813039831 (alk. paper)
0813039835 (alk. paper)
- "This volume is based on a 2008 Society for American Archaeology session on Chan in Vancouver, Canada"--Acknowledgments.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 343-382) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14404812