Test Plan and Test Specifications for Unloading LR-56 Waste at the 204-AR Waste Unloading Facility [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Environmental Management, 2000. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 13 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Environmental Management and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The LR-56 cask is an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), type B (U) certified Medium to High Level Radioactive Liquid Waste Transport Cask. The LR-56 consists of a trailer equipped with the following component and systems: cubic meter lead shielded cask; Self-contained ventilation system including an air pressure/vacuum pump for cask loading and unloading; Waste temperature, level, leak detection, and other surveillance equipment; Control room for control of loading and unloading operations and waste surveillance; Hoist system for removing well caps on the cask; Power connection and control connections for operating the cask from a remote facility; The cask may be unloaded or loaded using either the onboard pressure/vacuum pump or by an external waste transfer pump. Rinse heads and connections allow the cask to be rinsed using supplied rinse water. The cask was designed to be vented using the LR-56 onboard ventilation system, which is connected to the cask via a hose through a penetration in the cask. Three wells located on the top of the cask, offer valved penetrations into the cask for venting, waste pumping, and rinsing. Other penetrations in the cask enable surveillance instrumentation to be used to monitor inside the cask. To date, the LR-56 cask system at the Hanford facility has not been used. Since the vessel has never received radioactive waste, the LR-56 is not yet a regulated system. It is desired to use the LR-56 cask to transport waste in calendar year 2000.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 12/03/2000., "rpp-5513, rev.0", BROWN, T.M., and LMHC (US)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Final; 12/03/2000 - 12/03/2000
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14411599