Minor Actinides Transmutation Scenario Studies in PWR with Innovative Fuels [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- 10 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- With the innovative fuels (CORAIL, APA, MIX, MOX-UE) in current PWRs, it is theoretically possible to obtain different plutonium and minor actinides transmutation scenarios, in homogeneous mode, with a significant reduction of the waste radio-toxicity inventory and of the thermal output of the high level waste. Regarding each minor actinide element transmutation in PWRs, conclusions are : neptunium : a solution exists but the gain on the waste radio-toxicity inventory is not significant, americium : a solution exists but it is necessary to transmute americium with curium to obtain a significant gain, curium: Cm244 has a large impact on radiation and residual power in the fuel cycle; a solution remains to be found, maybe separating it and keeping it in interim storage for decay into Pu240 able to be transmuted in reactor.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Waste Management 2003 Symposium, Tucson, AZ (US), 02/23/2003--02/27/2003.
Boucher, L.; Grouiller, J. P.; Youinou, G.; Golfier, H.; Dolci, F.; Vasile, A.
Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique (FR)
View MARC record | catkey: 14412075