Accelerator-based conversion (ABC) of reactor and weapons plutonium [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 42 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- An accelerator-based conversion (ABC) system is presented that is capable of rapidly burning plutonium in a low-inventory sub-critical system. The system also returns fission power to the grid and transmutes troublesome long-lived fission products to short lived or stable products. Higher actinides are totally fissioned. The system is suited not only to controlled, rapid burning of excess weapons plutonium, but to the long range application of eliminating or drastically reducing the world total inventory of plutonium. Deployment of the system will require the successful resolution of a broad range of technical issues introduced in the paper.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Global `93: international conference and technology exhibition,Seattle, WA (United States),12-17 Sep 1993.
Bowman, C.D.; Jensen, R.J.; Arthur, E.D.; Davidson, J.W.; Trapp, T.J.; Linford, R.K.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14416287