Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [electronic resource] : Hate Crime Data, 2011 [Record-Type Files] / United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Ann Arbor, Mich. : Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2013.
- Additional Creators:
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
- doi.org , Access restricted ; authentication may be required
- Restrictions on Access:
- AVAILABLE. This study is freely available to the general public.
- In response to a growing concern about hate crimes, theUnited States Congress enacted the Hate Crime Statistics Act of1990. The Act requires the attorney general to establish guidelinesand collect, as part of the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program,data "about crimes that manifest evidence of prejudice based on race,religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, including whereappropriate the crimes of murder and non-negligent manslaughter,forcible rape, aggravated assault, simple assault, intimidation,arson, and destruction, damage or vandalism of property." Hate crimedata collection was required by the Act to begin in calendar year 1990and to continue for four successive years. In September 1994, theViolent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act amended the Hate CrimeStatistics Act to add disabilities, both physical and mental, asfactors that could be considered a basis for hate crimes. Although theAct originally mandated data collection for five years, the ChurchArson Prevention Act of 1996 amended the collection duration "for eachcalendar year," making hate crime statistics a permanent addition tothe UCR program. As with the other UCR data, law enforcement agenciescontribute reports either directly or through their state reportingprograms. Information contained in the data includes number of victimsand offenders involved in each hate crime incident, type of victims,bias motivation, offense type, and location type. Cf.: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR34583.v1
- Other Subject(s):
- Title from ICPSR DDI metadata of 2015-01-05.
- Type of File/Data:
- Other Forms:
- Also available as downloadable files.
View MARC record | catkey: 14423681