Celebrity culture and the American dream : stardom and mobility / Karen Sternheimer
- Sternheimer, Karen
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2015.
- Second edition.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 274 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- The American dream : celebrity, class, and social mobility -- Beyond subsistence : the rise of the middle class in the twentieth century -- Prosperity and wealth arrive : boom times and women's suffrage in the 1920s -- Pull yourself up by your bootstraps : personal failure and the Great Depression -- We're all in this together : collectivism and World War II -- Suburban utopia : the postwar middle class fantasy -- Is that all there is? : challenging the suburban fantasy in the sixties and seventies -- Massive wealth as moral reward : the Reagan revolution and individualism -- Success just for being you : opportunity in the Internet age.
- 9781138023949 (hardback : alk. paper)
1138023949 (hardback : alk. paper)
9781138023956 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1138023957 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- AUTH: UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. EXAMINES CULTURE VIA MAGAZINES/INTERNET FROM 1911/PRESENT.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14424016