STRUCTURE AND ELECTRONIC PROPERTIES OF SELF-ASSEMBLED MACROCYCLE AND POLYMER MULTILAYERS [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2001.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 277 Kilobytes pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Our results from optical absorption and surface external reflection FTIR reveal that we can grow self-assembled multilayers consisting of electron acceptors like OHBP and donors like NiPc. In order to investigate the evolution of the surface physical properties of self-assembled multilayers, we applied Kelvin probe techniques and surface photovoltage spectroscopy to monitor the growth of self-assembled OHBP and NiPc systems. Kelvin probe results indicate that the surface electronic potential is very sensitive to the presence of self-assembled molecular layers on surfaces. We find that there is an approximately constant gap of 350 meV between the surface work function of OHBP and NiPc terminated self-assembled multilayers. In other words, the surface work function or surface electronic potentials is a periodic function of the terminating layer, oscillating between ∼450 mV for OHBP layers and ∼100 mV for NiPc layers. On the other hand, the photo-induced effects can be also correlated to the terminating layer of the OHBP-NiPc system. This shows that the self-assembled layers also control the photo-induced effects to some extent. Over the whole excitation spectrum (300-710 nm), the photo-induced band bending change oscillates between two values mostly governed by the properties of the terminating layer of the self-assembled systems.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:la-ur-01-2637
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Conference title not supplied, Conference location not supplied, Conference dates not supplied.
L. S. LI; A. D. Q. LI.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14445459