Novel SiGe Coherent Island Coarsening [electronic resource] : Ostwald Ripening, Elastic Interactions, and Coalescence
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1999.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 15 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Sandia National Laboratories, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Real-time measurements of island coarsening during SiGe/Si (001) deposition reveal unusual kinetics. In particular, the mean island volume increases superlinearly with time, while the areal density of islands decreases at a faster-than-linear rate. Neither observation is consistent with standard considerations of Ostvvald ripening. We attribute our observed kinetics to the effect of elastic interactions in the densely growing island array. Island coalescence likely plays an important role as well.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:sand99-1644j
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Applied Physics Letters FT
Sinclair, M.; Hwang, R.Q.; Chason, E.; Floro, J.A.; Twesten, R.D.; Freund, L.B.; Lucadamo, G.A.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14447779