Final technical report. [Heterogeneous nucleation and growth in metal alloys] [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1997. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 21 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Virginia, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We have refined a heat treatment to obtain coherent, heterogeneous nucleation of precipitates on dislocations in a high purity binary alloy. This allowed, for the first time, a quantitative comparison to be made for coherent heterogeneous nucleation. This part of the research resulted from our concern about the role of dislocations in sub-boundaries in aluminum alloys and directed us to first examine isolated dislocations in the binary Al-Li systems. We were able to design the experiment so the heterogeneous nucleation of AL₃Li occurred. Previously, only homogeneous nucleation of Al₃Li had been examined.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 09/14/1997., "de--fg05-89er45389-final", and G.J. Shiflet.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Final; 04/15/1989 - 09/14/1997
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14450645