Magnetic domain structure and magnetization reversal in submicron-scale Co dots [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Defense Programs, 1998. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 1.2 Mbytes : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Defense Programs, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We present a magnetic force microscopy (MFM) analysis of arrays of submicron-scale Co dots fabricated by interference lithography. The dots are thin (180--300 Å) and elliptical in shape. MFM reveals that these structures relax into highly ordered remanent states whose symmetry and configuration are governed by their shape anisotropy. In particular, when the dots are saturated along their long-axis, a uniformly magnetized state persists at remanence. However, when the dots are saturated along their short-axis, they relax into a single-vortex state in which the circulation can have either sign. Both states are characterized by smoothly varying magnetization patterns and a high degree of uniformity across the array. We attribute the ordered behavior of these.structures to the film microstructure, which allows the shape anisotropy to dominate over magnetocrystalline anjsotropy. By imaging a series of minor-loop remanent states, we show that magnetization reversal in these structures occurs via the nucleation and annihilation of a single vortex. Magnetic hysteresis loop measurements are consistent with these observations and provide additional details. Furthermore, we present the results of micromagnetic simulations, which are in excellent agreement with both the MFM images and the hysteresis loop measurements. © 1998 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 09/24/1998., "ucrl-jc-130117--rev-1", "YN0100000", "97-LW-037", "DE00006197", 43rd Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Miami, FL, November 9-12, 1998., and Gibbons, M; Fernandez, A; Cerjan, C J; Wall, M A.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14453404