Cast Polycrystalline Photovoltaic Module Manufacturing Technology Improvements; Final Subcontract Report, 8 December 1993-30 April 1998 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1999.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- vp : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This report summarizes work performed by Solarex, A Business Unit of Amoco/Enron Solar, under this subcontract. Among the accomplishments during the program are the following: Converting all of the production casting stations to increase ingot size, operating them at equivalent yields and cell efficiencies, and thus doubling the casting capacity at a 20% lower cost than the cost of new equipment. Developing a wire-saw process and transferring the process to production; as a result, more than 80% of wafering is now done using wire saws, at higher yields and lower costs than achieved on the internal diameter saws. Developing an aluminum paste back-surface field (BSF) process to increase cell efficiency by 5%; researchers also designed, procured, and transferred to manufacturing a fully automated printing system to produce the BSF cells. Fabricating 15.2-cm by 15.2-cm polycrystalline silicon solar cells and building modules using these cells. Modifying the module assembly area to increase capacity by a factor of three. Implementing a single-layer Tedlar backsheet that reduced backsheet cost by $0.50/ft2. Selecting, testing, and qualifying a low-cost (< $1.00 per module) electrical termination system. Qualifying the structure and adhesive system for mounting frameless modules and using the system to build several large arrays.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:nrel/sr-520-26071
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
National Renewable Energy Lab., Golden, CO (US)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Topical; 12/08/1993 - 04/30/1998
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14455142