Thermophysical properties of liquid niobium [electronic resource].
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1989. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 9 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Thermophysical properties of most liquid metals are difficult to measure because of the very high temperatures and pressures required, but they are important for several reasons. These include understanding the fundamental physics of liquid metals and experimental modeling and design of exploding wires, foils and fuses. The melting points of all but a few metals are at high temperatures, with many exceeding 2000 K. The critical points of most metals exceed temperatures and pressures that may be easily achieved in static high-pressure systems. Because of the limitations on temperatures that may be reached in static high-pressure experiments, various dynamic techniques have been developed to study liquid metals. We use a resistive pule heating method in which a cylindrical wire-shaped sample is made to expand along a isobaric path. During an experiment the sample is heated, made to melt, and enthalpy, temperature, and specific volume are measured. After the liquid end state is reached, a single sound speed measurement per experiment is made. From these fundamental properties, other properties such as thermal expansion coefficient bulk modulii, and compressibilities may be calculated. Here we report measurements that we have recently made on liquid niobium. 7 refs., 5 figs., 1 tab.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1989., "la-ur-89-2150", " conf-890798-1-vugraphs", "DE89014288", AIRAPT and EHPRG international high pressure science and technology conference, Paderborn, Germany, F.R., 17-21 Jul 1989., and Winkler, M.A.; Hixson, R.S.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14458339