Bioextraction of cobalt from complex metal sulfides [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (12 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy, United States. Department of the Interior, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The present study has investigated the bioleachability of naturally occurring cobaltite and synthetic cobalt sulfides using 29 pedigree and wild type'' strains of Thiobacillus ferrooxidans. On the basis of a screening test, five strains of bacteria were selected for assessing the effects of leach parameters (pH, ferrous and ferric sulfates, ammonium sulfate, bipotassium hydrogen phosphate, and substrate concentrations) on cobalt extraction from Blackbird Mine ore and concentrate. The mechanisms of cobalt extraction were explained in terms of direct and indirect modes of bacterial activity, and the chemistry involved in these processes was identified. Using various size fractions of a high-grade cobaltite, the kinetic parameters of cobalt extraction were derived for the effect of specific surface area to be V[sub m] = 376 mg dm[sup [minus]3] h[sup [minus]1] and K 1.27 m[sup 2] g[sup [minus]1].
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:egg-m-93104
E 1.99: conf-930815--1
- Other Subject(s):
- Cobalt Ores
- Cobalt Sulfides
- Sulfide Minerals
- Thiobacillus Ferroxidans
- Cobalt Compounds
- Separation Processes
- Sulfur Compounds
- Sulfur-Oxidizing Bacteria
- Transition Element Compounds
- Transition Elements
- Published through SciTech Connect.
International biohydrometallurgy symposium, Jackson Hole, WY (United States), 22-25 Aug 1993.
Thompson, D.L.; Noah, K.S.; Torma, A.E.; Wichlacz, P.L.
EG and G Idaho, Inc., Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14458595