Reinforcements for high temperature ceramics [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (56 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A method has been investigated and developed to grow TiB₂ whiskers by the VLS mechanism. The reaction was carried out in a quartz tube 3 in. in diameter, 30 in. long at about 1150°C in the presence of a catalyst. The basic experimental parameters, a substrate, and a catalyst, for the growth of the whiskers have been defined. The whiskers produced have shown variable size and morphology depending on the experimental conditions, and location of the whiskers from the input port. The corrosion of the catalyst by the gas environment, and the gas distribution profile in the furnace had a serious effect on the reproducibility of the experimental results, and the overall yield of whiskers.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 04/01/1992., "ornl/sub-90-sb688/1", "DE92014815", and Watson, M.A.; Kyriacou, C.I.; Sepulveda, J.L.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14458813