Estimation of isothermal sections of ternary phase diagrams of lithium containing systems [electronic resource] : the Al--Li--Mg system
- Argonne, Ill. : Argonne National Laboratory, 1976.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 35 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The method of Kaufman and coworkers is used to provide an estimate of isothermal sections of the Al--Li--Mg system. One starts by calculating the lattice stability of the constituents, the binary interaction coefficients and the binary compound parameters. In the computations, thermodynamic data, when available, were coupled with measured phase diagrams to provide thermodynamically self-consistent liquidus and solidus curves for the binary systems. Standard enthalpies of formation and entropies of formation were calculated for the reported compounds. The binary system Li--Mg illustrates the use of such calculations in selecting the most reliable representation of the phase diagram. The calculated binary data were used to compute the phase diagram of Li--Al--Mg, assuming that no ternary compounds exist. 4 tables, 7 figures, 29 references. (GHT)
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:conf-770116-2
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Workshop on application of phase diagrams in metallurgy and ceramics, Gaithersburg, MD, USA, 10 Jan 1977.
Saboungi, M. L.; Hsu, C. C.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14460776