Ion-beam mixing of ceramic alloys [electronic resource] : preparation and mechanical properties
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1981.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 7 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Techniques used to produce unique states of pure metals mixed into ceramic materials are presented. The samples were prepared by irradiating a 1-MeV Fe/sup +/ beam on Al/sub 2/O/sub 3/ crystal surfaces over which a thin chromium or zirconium film had been evaporated. The limitations of using noble gas ion beams are noted. Micro Knoop hardness tests performed near the surfaces of the samples indicated a significant increase in the hardness of most samples prepared by ion beam mixing.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:conf-811122-15
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Annual meeting of the Materials Research Society, Boston, MA, USA, 16 Nov 1981.
Lewis, M.B.; McHargue, C.J.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14461411