Saving Europe : anatomy of a dream / Carlo Bastasin
- Bastasin, Carlo, 1959-
- Additional Titles:
- Saving Europe : how national politics nearly destroyed the euro
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- New and updated.
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 543 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Eichengreen, Barry J. and Brookings Institution
- The origin of mistrust -- The secrets behind the banks -- Europe's awkward ambitions to change the world -- Too different for one policy -- First doubts about the euro -- The American crisis becomes the European crisis -- The European Central Bank's first rescue of the states -- Karlsruhe, ruling the world from the province -- The well-known secret of the Greek tragedy -- Let Greece default? -- Bringing the euro to the brink, in order to save it -- Sell your islands -- Contagion -- Dr. Faust saves the euro -- From a new complacency to the Irish crisis -- A sophisticated way to commit suicide -- A fateful fight between the ECB and the heads of governments -- The crisis reaches Italy and Spain -- Berlusconi's moral hazard and the German waterboarding strategy -- Solution or dissolution: political union or the end of the euro -- The limits of democracy -- Whatever it takes -- The new hierarchy -- Conclusion: a dreamless night.
- Originally published in 2012 with the subtitle: How national politics nearly destroyed the euro.
Foreword by Barry Eichengreen.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 473-527) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14652433