Hydrogeochemical and production controls on NORM in oil- and gas- field operations. Technical progress report, January 1, 1993--March 31, 1993 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 5 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Texas at Austin, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This project is designed to investigate the nature of geochemical, geological, and production parameters that control the occurrence of naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORM) in oil-and gas-field operations. Relations between reservoir setting and NORM content of brine and scale will be interpreted on the basis of formation brines and production-equipment scales collected at field sites for detailed chemical and mineralogical analyses. During the first quarter of 1993, we concentrated on gathering all available information concerning the distribution of NORM in Texas oil and gas fields, the geochemical behavior of uranium, thorium, and radium in formation water, the physical and chemical conditions that cause radium to be released from geologic formations to produced water, the geochemical conditions that cause scale to form, and the chemical factors that determine the NORM content of scale. Now that we have compiled all available published reports of production-water chemistry that include radium measurements and scale composition, we are ready to collect new scale and water samples and perform analyses. With assistance from the Railroad Commission of Texas we are beginning to identify specific oil and gas fields for sampling. These activities will be the focus of our efforts during the second quarter of 1993.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 04/30/1993., "doe/mt/92011--6", "DE94007806", "AC1510100", and Fisher, R.S.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Quarterly; 01/01/1993 - 03/31/1993
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14659744