A combined volumetric verification procedure based on bubble-tube manometry and lutetium spike [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1994. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 6 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Bubble-tube manometry is the most accurate currently available method for precision volumetric measurements of solutions in process tanks containing special nuclear materials. Bubble tubes installed in the accountability tank by the facility operator are instrumented with a precision pressure transducer and a programmable pneumatic multiplexing system. In a process-solution measurement technique currently under development, a spike solution containing a known amount of lutetium is added to the Accountability appropriate measures are taken to homogenize the tank contents, and a sample of the homogenized solution is analyzed by isotopic dilution mass spectrometry. Each method offers unique advantages when applied to independent verification of the special nuclear material content of process solutions for the purposes of international safeguards. The methods are compared with regard to attributes such as intrusiveness, authentication independent of the facility operator, value for process operations, suitability for continuous unattended process monitoring, technical implementation challenges, accuracy, inspection effort and cost. A solution-volume verification proce-dure emphasizing the complementary aspects of both methods is proposed.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 08/01/1994., "bnl--60021", " conf-940748--77", "DE94016730", "SSN-94-06", 35. annual meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management (INMM),Naples, FL (United States),17-20 Jul 1994., and Suda, S.; Keisch, B.; Smith, D.H.; Lemley, J.R.; Belew, W.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14661091