TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION UNDERWATER HYDROLASING PHASE 0 & 1 & 2 TECHNICAL REPORT [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- 28 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- From September 10 through December 17th, 2003, S.A.Robotics executed Phases 0, I, and II of the Technology Demonstration - Underwater Hydrolasing. Phase 0 was performed at the S.A.Robotics facility in Loveland, Colorado, while Phases I and II were performed at the Hanford K-Basin East Site. The purpose of the demonstrations was to show (1) underwater hydrolasing is a feasible method of removing contaminated concrete underwater to a required depth, (2) the hydrolasing head could be controlled during operation, (3) the depth of contamination in the concrete structure could be accurately measured, and (4) a characterization of the waste stream during hydrolasing activities could be recorded. Video monitoring was also used during all demonstrations. All phases of the demonstration were completed and deemed a success by both the observers and the demonstration team. Single and multiple passes were made using variable cutting rates, different stand-off distances were tested, and stationary cuts were executed. Hot and cold hyrdolasing was performed with radiological and depth scans of the affected surfaces. Specially designed equipment was installed and operated within the contaminated environment of 100-K East Basin. Separate results are documented below by phase. The Phase II radiological demonstration was performed to determine the feasibility of underwater hydrolasing technology for decontamination of the DOE spent fuel basins at Hanford 100-K area. This project demonstration was conducted at 105 KE Basin with the expectation that, once proven, this technology can be implemented at Hanford and other DOE sites.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:kbc-26294, rev.0
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT (US)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Final; 06/08/2005 - 06/08/2005
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14662896