Mockup testing of remote systems for zirconium fuel dissolution process at the Idaho Chemical Processing Plant [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1979.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 28 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A facility is being constructed at the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory for storage and dissolution of spent zirconium reactor fuels. The dissolution is carried out in chemical type equipment contained in a large shielded cell. The design provides for remote operations and maintenance as required. Equipment predicted to fail within 5 years is designed for remote maintenance. Each system was fabricated for mockup testing using readily available materials. The mockups were tested, redesigned, and retested until satisfactory remote designs were achieved. Records were made of all the work. All design changes were then incorporated into the ongoing detailed design for the actual equipment. Several of these systems are discussed and they include valve replacement, pump replacement, waste solids handling, mechanism operations and others. The mockup program has saved time and money by eliminating many future problems. In addition, the mockup program will continue through construction, cold startup, and hot operations.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:conf-791103-70
- Other Subject(s):
- Idaho Chemical Processing Plant
- Remote Handling Equipment
- Spent Fuel Elements
- Fuel Elements
- Fuel Reprocessing Plants
- Materials Handling Equipment
- National Organizations
- Nuclear Facilities
- Reactor Components
- Structural Models
- Transition Elements
- Us Aec
- Us Doe
- Us Erda
- Us Organizations
- Published through SciTech Connect.
American Nuclear Society meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA, 12 Nov 1979.
Exxon Nuclear Idaho Co., Inc., Idaho Falls (USA)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14666920