Calculated masses and decay properties for heavy and superheavy elements [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1985.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 4 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Within the framework of the macroscopic-microscopic method, models have been developed that allow the calculation of nuclear masses and fission barriers to an accuracy of approximately 1 MeV, on the average. In one such calculation Moeller and Nix studied nuclei from /sup 16/O to the heaviest known elements. In that calculation the rms deviations between calculated and experimental masses and fission barriers were 0.835 MeV and 1.331 MeV, respectively. We have now used that model to extend the calculations to additional nuclei up to Z = 122. A table where we list calculated ground-state masses, Q/sub ..cap alpha../, Q/sub ..beta../, and Q/sub EC will be published elsewhere. However, since there were some masses missing in the 1980 calculation for Z = 108 and Z = 109 that are now of interest in connection with the recent discoveries of these elements we give the results for these missing elements here. Thus for /sup 264/108 and /sup 265/108 our new calculation gives the mass excesses 120.90 and 121.95 MeV. For the isotopes /sup 264/ /sup 268/109 the results are 128.26, 127.77, 128.52, 128.19, and 129.05 MeV. Experimentally, Armbruster and collaborators have obtained the masses 120.97 MeV and 128.06 MeV for /sup 265/108 and /sup 266/109, respectively.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:la-ur-85-554
E 1.99: conf-850141-3
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
13. international workshop on gross properties of nuclei and nuclear excitations, Hirschegg, Austria, 14 Jan 1985.
Nix, J.R.; Moeller, P.; Leander, G.A.
Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Inc., TN (USA)
Lund Univ. (Sweden)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14671644