Induced magnetization density in the 5f system UA1/sub 2 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1980. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 9 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A polarized-neutron diffractometer was used to study the induced magnetization density in the unit cell of the 5f system UA1/sub 2/. Measurements have been made on single crystals at 4.2/sup 0/K with an applied magnetic field of 42.5 KOe (induced magnetic moment 0.0344 ..mu../sub B/ per mole). Neutron wavelengths of 1.067 and 0.785 A and different crystal thicknesses have been used to correct for and eliminate any effects from extinction. It is found that the major part of the magnetization density appears as a contribution localized at the U site, exhibiting a form factor similar to that of the f/sup 3/ free ion, and extrapolating in the forward direction to the value given by the bulk susceptibility. However, there are two interesting aspects of the density. First, the form factor points differ significantly from a smooth curve. This indicates asphericity in the 5f electron distribution arising from the crystalline environment of the U atoms. Second, and more unusual, finite magnetic scattering amplitudes have been observed for a series of reflections to which the centrosymmetric density at the U site cannot contribute. We consider this as strong evidence of noncentrosymmetric bonding involving the 5f-6d electrons.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 09/01/1980., "conf-801134--8(draft)", 26. annual conference on magnetism and magnetic metals, Dallas, TX, USA, 11 Nov 1980., and Lander, G. H.; Moon, R. M.; Rakhecha, V. C.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14672132