QNS measurements on water in biological and model systems [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1981. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 4 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Results are presented on the quasi-elastic spectra of 0.95 THz neutrons scattered from pure water, a 20% agarose gel and cysts of the brine shrimp (Artemia) of hydration 1.2 gms H/sub 2/O per gm of dry solids. The lines are interpreted with a two-component model in which the hydration water scatters elastically and the free water is described by a jump-diffusion correlation function. The results for the line widths GAMMA(Q/sup 2/) are in good agreement with previous measurements for the water sample but show deviations from pure water at large Q for agarose and the Artemia cysts that suggest an increased value of the residence time in the jump-diffusion model.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1981., "conf-810840-1", "DE81028576", Symposium on neutron scattering, Argonne, IL, USA, 12 Aug 1981., and Clegg, J.C.; Nicklow, R.M.; Trantham, E.C.; Rorschach, H.E.; Hazlewood, C.F.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14672610