Preliminary thoughts on proxy PNA compounds in the vapor and solid phase [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1978. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 17 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The possible adverse environmental impacts of polynuclear aromatic (PNA) compounds are considered. Better monitoring data for PNA compounds are needed to establish the level of worker exposure. This need, together with the inaccuracy of the method for cyclohexane soluble fraction of particulate matter (CSFTPM), and because the latter does not always correlate well with the PNA content, are the best reasons which can be advanced for measuring PNA proxy compounds. Proxy PNA compounds would be used, for the time being at least, to characterize rather than regulate the PNA compounds in fugitive emissions. While it may be premature to identify specific compounds to serve as indicators for the presence of complex, multicomponent mixtures, the need for such proxy compounds has clearly been established. These proxy compounds not only must be readily measured and indicative of their parent sample in the work environment, but should themselves be of biological interest. Considerable research and development is required in each of these areas to understand more fully the behavior, both chemical and biological, of these complex PNA mixtures. Also required is continued development of improved measuring techniques and instrumentation that can provide more economic and efficient monitoring of selected proxy compounds.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1978., "conf-781150-5", Symposium on assessing the industrial hygiene monitoring needs for the coal conversion and oil shale industries, Upton, NY, USA, 5 Nov 1978., and Gammage, R.B.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14673542