MeRHIC - staging approach to eRHIC [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2009. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Design of a medium energy electron-ion collider (MeRHIC) is under development at the Collider-Accelerator Department at BNL. The design envisions construction of a 4 GeV electron accelerator in a local area inside and near the RHIC tunnel. Electrons will be produced by a polarized electron source and accelerated in energy recovery linacs. Collisions of the electron beam with 100 GeV/u heavy ions or with 250 GeV polarized protons will be arranged in the existing IP2 interaction region of RHIC. The luminosity of electron-proton collisions at the 10³² cm⁻²s⁻¹ level will be achieved with 50 mA CW electron current and presently available proton beam parameters. Efficient proton beam cooling at collision energy may bring the luminosity to 10³³ cm⁻²s⁻¹. An important feature of MeRHIC is that it serves as a first stage of eRHIC, a future electron-ion collider at BNL with both higher luminosity and energy reach. The majority of MeRHIC accelerator components will be used in eRHIC.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 05/04/2009., "bnl--81849-2009-cp", "KB0202011", Particle Accelerator Conference; Vancouver, B.C., Canada; 20090504 through 20090508., and Litvinenko, V. N.; Trbojevic, D.; Kayran, D.; Pozdeyev, E.; Beebe-Wang, J.; Ptitsyn,V.; Ben-Zvi, I.; Montag, C.; Roser, T.; Tepikian, S.; Tsoupas, N.; Fedotov, A.; Hao, Y.; Deshpande, A.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14680589