Thermal response of the multiplier of an accelerator driven system to beam interruptions [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2002.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 10 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Thermal response of the multiplier of an accelerator driven system to beam trips has been calculated for sodium cooled and lead-bismuth cooled multipliers. The temperature transients caused by a beam trip lead to thermal fatigue in structural components, and restoring the beam causes an additional temperature transient that adds to thermal fatigue. Design lifetimes for various multiplier components are calculated, based on the frequency of beam interruptions and on the thermal fatigue per interruption. Mitigation strategies to increase design lifetimes are discussed.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:anl/rae/cp-107699
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
3rd International Workshop on Utilization and Reliability of High Power Proton Accelerators, Sante Fe, NM (US), 05/12/2002--05/16/2002.
Dunn, F. E.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14685588