UPGRADING RHIC FOR HIGHER LUMINOSITY [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 2001.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 3 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- While RHIC has only just started running for its heavy ion physics program, in the first run last summer, we achieved 10% of the design luminosity. In this paper we discuss plans for increasing the luminosity by a factor of 35 beyond the nominal design. A factor of 4 should be straightforward by doubling the number of bunches per ring and squeezing the β* from 2 to 1 m at selected interaction points. An additional factor of 8 to 10 could be possible by using electron cooling to counteract intrabeam scattering and reduce emittances of the beams.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
PARTICLE ACCELERATOR CONFERENCE 2001, CHICAGO, IL (US), 06/18/2001--06/22/2001.
BRENN,J.M.; HARRISON,M.; TRBOJEVIC,D.; BEN-ZVI,I.; KEWISCH,J.; MACKAY,W.; ROSER,T.; PEGGS,S.; PARKHOMCHUK,V.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14688248