A four-port launcher for a multi-moded DLDS power distribution system [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1998. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 3 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The authors describe a structure for launching the TE₀₁ and both polarizations of TE₁₂ modes into a highly overmoded low loss circular waveguide providing remote transmission for a multi-moded Delay Line Distribution System (DLDS). The power from four sources is delivered to four structure ports by rectangular waveguide, and the mode for each pulse subsection is selected by varying the relative phases of the sources. The four ports symmetrically feed a section of waveguide with a fourfold symmetric four-leaf clover-like (or quatrefoil) cross section, dimensioned so as to propagate only four TE modes, characterized as 0, π/2 (two polarizations), and π modes. The 0 and π/2 modes are well matched, the π mode only moderately so. A low loss taper transforms the initial cross section to a circular cross section; the 0 mode transforming to TE₀₁, the π/2 to TE₁₁, the π to TE₂₁, all with negligible mode conversion. A sausage type mode transducer t hen converts TE₁₁ to TE₁₂ (a lower loss mode), and the diameter is then expanded to the full ≈five inch diameter of the delay line. A separate structure to divert power from the last pulse subsection to the local group of accelerator structures is required.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/01/1998., "slac-pub--7867", " conf-980671--", "DE98059247", EPAC 1998: 6. European particle accelerator conference, Stockholm (SE), 06/22/1998--06/26/1998., and Miller, R.; Li, Z.; Kroll, N.; Eppley, K.; Tantawi, S.; Nantista, C.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14688780