Status of the Argonne-Notre Dame BGO gamma-ray facility at ATLAS [electronic resource].
- Argonne, Ill. : Argonne National Laboratory, 1995.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- pages 80e.l : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The gamma-ray facility at ATLAS consists of (a) a 4π gamma-sum/multiplicity spectrometer with 50 BGO hexagonal elements (inner array) and (b) 12 Compton-suppressed germanium detectors (CSG) external to the inner array. During the past year the effort related to this facility continued on several fronts. Because of neutron damage, annealing was performed on eight Ge detectors. Three of these were annealed twice. The performance of the detectors was recovered in all but one case. In the latter, the FET was lost and the detector was returned to the manufacturer for repair. Maintenance and repairs had to be performed on several electronics modules and, in particular, on some of the CAMAC units. None of these problems affected an experiment for more than a couple of hours. Preventive maintenance was performed on the LN₂ filling system (inspection of all filling lines and check of the various functions of the control modules). 10 of the CSGs were moved to the FMA for long periods of time on three different occasions and were used in conjunction with this device. Such a move takes about 1 day, does not require that the Ge detectors be warmed up, and has not resulted in any noticeable loss in performance of the CSGs. A new dedicated target chamber was designed and constructed. This chamber allows us to place a target upstream from the usual location, outside of the array. In this way it is possible to study decays from isomers after recoil from the target into a stopper located at the focus of the γ-ray facility.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:anl--95/14
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Carpenter, M.P.; Janssens, R.V.; Blumenthal, D.J.
View MARC record | catkey: 14693316