Stress relaxation in SSC 50mm dipole coils [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 9 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We are measuring the stress relaxation of SSC 50mm outer coils with the goal of predicting how much of the coil prestress will be lost while the coils are warehoused between manufacture and cooldown. We manufacture 3 inch (76.2mm) long segments of coil with the same materials and techniques that have been used for prototype coils. We are running four simultaneous tests in an attempt to separate the contributions of the different coil materials. Test one is a completely insulated coil section where the insulation is the all polyamide system being tested at Brookhaven; test two is a wire stack insulated only with the normal Kapton overwrap; test three is a stack of bare cable; and test four is a completely insulated normal coil section. All, except for the bare cable, include the ground insulation. The insulated coil sections are carefully dried before loading and testing in order to eliminate stress changes due to varying moisture content. The temperature dependence of the stress relaxation is being studied separately. Three companion papers presented at this conference will be: (1) ``Temperature dependence of the viscoelastic properties of SSC coil insulation`` (2) ``Measurement of the elastic modulus of Kapton perpendicular to the plane of the film at room and cryogenic temperatures`` (3) ``Theoretical methods for creep and stress relaxation studies of SSC coil.``
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:fnal/c--92/97
E 1.99: conf-920331--56
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
4. international industrial symposium on the Super Collider,New Orleans, LA (United States),4-6 Mar 1992.
Rogers, D.; Markley, F.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14694412