Ireland, memory and performing the historical imagination / edited by Christopher Collins and Mary P. Caulfield
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 244 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Collins, Christopher, 1984- and Caulfield, Mary P., 1978-
- Introduction: the rest is history / Christopher Collins and Mary P. Caulfield -- Legacy and heritage. Walking in and out of place: the pedestrian performances of Tim Robinson / Daniel Sack -- A theatre of the unword: censorship, hegemony, and Samuel Beckett / Nicholas Johnson -- Re-considering Oscar Wilde's flamboyant flop: Vera or the nihilists / Aideen Kerr -- Courtly love and heroic death in W.B. Yeats's Cuchulain cycle of plays / Paul Murphy -- Whenever the tale of '98 is told: Constance Markievicz, the national memory and "the women of ninety-eight" / Mary P. Caulfield -- Theatre of dissent: the historical imagination of the Irish Workers' Dramatic Company / Lauren Arrington -- Staging the body in post-independence Ireland / Lionel Pilkington -- Recollection and remembrance. Pampooties and keening: alternate ways of performing memory in J.M. Synge's plays / Hélène Lecossois -- "Why do you always be singin' that oul' song?": the subversion of emigrant ballads in John B. Keane's Many young men of twenty / Joseph Greenwood -- Boxed rituals: Eamon De Valera, television, and Talbot's box / Michael Jaros -- Unblessed amongst women: performing patriarchy without men in contemporary Irish theatre / Cormac O'Brien -- The abuse of history/a history of abuse: theatre as memory and the Abbey's "Darkest corner" / Emilie Pine -- Forgetting follow / Christopher Collins.
- English drama—Irish authors—History and criticism
- Collective memory in literature
- History in literature
- Literature and history—Ireland
- Theater and society—Ireland
- English drama—Irish authors
- Literature and history
- Theater and society
- Kollektives Gedächtnis
- Ireland—In literature
- 9781137362179 hardback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14700843