Chemistry of Plant Natural Products [electronic resource] : Stereochemistry, Conformation, Synthesis, Biology, and Medicine / by Sunil Kumar Talapatra, Bani Talapatra
- Talapatra, Sunil Kumar
- Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin Heidelberg : Imprint: Springer, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- LXIII, 1,180 pages 1,015 illustrations, 21 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Talapatra, Bani and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Introduction: enzymes, cofactors/coenzymes, primary and secondary metabolites, natural products and their functions, plant chemical ecology, biosynthesis, metabolic pathways -- Fundamental Stereochemical Concepts and Nomenclatures -- Important Biological Events Occurring in Plants -- Natural Products Chemistry -- Biosynthesis of Terpenoids, The Oldest Natural Products -- Monoterpenoids (C10) -- Sesquiterpenoids (C15) -- Diterpenoids (C20) -- Sesterpenoids (C25) -- Triterpenes -- Steroids: Cholesterol and Other Phytosterols -- Carotenoids-GGPP Derived Polyisoprenoid (C40) Coloring Pigments -- Shikimic Acid Pathway -- Polyketide Pathway, Biosynthesis of Diverse Clases of Aromatic Compounds -- Alkaloids: General Introduction -- Hygrine, Hygroline and Cuscohygrine (Ornithine-Derived Alkaloids) -- Coniine, Conhydrine and Pseudoconhydrine -- Nicotine -- Atropine [(±)-Hyoscyamine] and Cocaine -- Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine -- Pilocarpine and Isopilocarpine -- Papaverine -- Morphine, Codeine, Thebaine -- Colchicine -- Quinine: Cinchona Alkalods -- Reserpine -- Strychnine, an Alkaloid with Heptacyclic Dense Molecular Scaffold -- Dimeric Indole Alkaloids:Vinblastine (Vincaleukoblastine), Vineristine (Leurocristine) and Their Derivatives -- Some More Alkaloids Having Diverse Skeletal Patterns -- Important Outcomes of Chemical Studies on Natural Products -- Chiral Recognition in Biological Systems and Natural Chiral Auxiliaries -- Natural Products in the Parlor of Pharmaceuticals -- Organic Phytonutrients and Their Functions -- Appendices. .
- Aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students and researchers working with natural products, Professors Sunil and Bani Talapatra provide a highly accessible compilation describing all aspects of plant natural products. Beginning with a general introduction to set the context, the authors then go on to carefully detail nomenclature, occurrence, isolation, detection, structure elucidation (by both degradation and spectroscopic techniques) stereochemistry, conformation, synthesis, biosynthesis, biological activity and commercial applications of the most important natural products of plant origin. Each chapter also includes detailed references (with titles) and a list of recommended books for additional study making this outstanding treatise a useful resource for teachers of chemistry and researchers working in universities, research institutes and industry.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 14701843