Assist in the recovery of bypassed oil from reservoirs in the Gulf of Mexico. Summary annual report, February 18, 1992--February 18, 1993 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 21 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, La.)
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The objective of this research is to assist the recovery of non-contacted oil from known reservoirs on the Outer Continental Shelf in the Gulf of Mexico. Thus far, research has consisted of data collection from Minerals Management Service (MMS); literature and operators; screening of reservoirs for detailed studies; modification of two public domain simulators; development of a predictive model; and design of several laboratory experiments for studying attic oil recovery. The methodology for data collection from MMS, literature and operators is keyed on 208 sands containing 1,289 reservoirs, representing 60% of the original oil in place (OOIP) in the Gulf of Mexico. This data collection is presently in progress after several delays concerning confidentiality agreements between MMS, DOE, and LSU and its subcontractors. Modifications on two public domain computer reservoir simulators, BOAST II and MASTER, is underway. Modifications will consist of developing a code to handle steeply dipping oil reservoirs and a radial grid format for near wellbore studies. Modifications for steeply dipping reservoirs have been successfully implemented. At present, modifications to BOAST II for radial grid systems are producing acceptable results in a reasonable, though long, period of time. Research of all phases listed above are in progress; therefore, no results or conclusions can be reported at this time.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Annual; 01/01/1992 - 12/31/1993
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14705083