AN ALTERNATIVE SCHEME FOR THE NEUTRINO FACTORY WITH A HIGH POWER PROTON DRIVER [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 2001.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We describe a scheme to produce an intense and collimated beam of neutrinos for the neutrino-oscillation experiment. The scheme feature is the presence of a Proton Driver that generates a proton beam at very large power (10mA x 15GeV), considerably higher than that proposed elsewhere for this application. With this scheme, because of the high intensity of the proton beam, to produce neutrinos at the same required rates, it is sufficient to collect π and μ mesons only around a small angle and at reduced momentum spreads. This eliminates the need for the difficult longitudinal manipulations of the protons and mesons, and of the ionization cooling that still needs to be demonstrated. It is also shown, at the end of the paper, that the Neutrino Factory here proposed can also be used as an injector for a 1 x 1 TeV² μ⁺ - μ⁻ collider at large luminosity.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:bnl--68760
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
SNOWMASS; SNOWMASS, CO; 20010630 through 20010721.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14710795