OCH Button Test [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science, 1987. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 7 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A test was conducted to make a check on the yield stress of the copper spacer buttons to be used in OCH. The tested button was made from Copper no. 110, cold drawn rod, which has a documented yield stress value of 48,000 psi. The button was put into compression with the load applied to the face of the button. The resulting deflection vs. the applied cross load was then charted with the width of the chart having a 10,000 kg scale. While the chart speed was set at 1 cm/min, the cross head speed was set at .05 cm/min. To find a value of Young's Modulus for the OCH button, the compression test was run again with a chart width scale of 5,000 kg. The chart speed was set at 10 cm/min and the cross head speed at .05 cm/min. The curve generated on the chart was linear in nature until the button reached its yield point. Here, the slope of the curve began to change, increasing over a small area until a new linear curve was established. The point at which the slope changed would be considered the yielding point of the material, but here, there was no single distinct point. Instead there was a smooth transition between the two linear portions of the curve. In order to find where the yield point would occur, two lines were drawn, representing the best fit of each of the two slopes of the curve (before and after the yield point). The intersection of these lines was taken to be the point from which the yield stress could be calculated.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 05/01/1987., "fermilab-d0-en-088", and Kurita, C.H.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14712771