delta. sigma/sub L//(pp) and jet physics [electronic resource].
- Argonne, Ill. : Argonne National Laboratory, 1988. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 20 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- We show that there is a positive contribution to ..delta..sigma/sub L/(pp; s) = sigma /sub tot/(p(+)p(+); s) /minus/ sigma/sub tot/(p(+)p(/minus/); s) (where the +- refer to proton helicities) associated with the pointlike scattering of fundamental constituents. Simple arguments imply that this positive contribution would, at very high s, be larger in absolute value than the negative contribution to ..delta..sigma/sub L/ predicted from the exchange of the A/sub 1/ reggeon, and furthermore may provide important insight into the shape of the spin weighted quark and gluon distributions. Measurements of ..delta..sigma/sub L/ in the energy range ..sqrt..s = 18 /minus/ 30 GeV also should help clarify theoretical ideas associated with the observations of ''minijets'' and could aid in the prediction of event structure at future high energy colliders. 24 refs. 6 figs.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1988., "anl-hep-cp-40", " conf-8806203-7", "DE89000600", Symposium on future polarization at Fermilab, Batavia, IL, USA, 13 Jun 1988., and Richards, D.G.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14714908