Fixed target electroweak and hard scattering physics [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1990. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (59 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The possibilities for future physics and experiments involving weak and electromagnetic interactions, neutrino oscillations, general hard scattering and experiments involving nuclear targets were explored. The studies were limited to the physics accessible using fixed target experimentation. While some of the avenues explored turn out to be relatively unrewarding in the light of competition elsewhere in the world, there are a number of positive conclusions reached about experimentation in the energy range available to the Main Injector and Tevatron. Some of the experiments would benefit from the increased intensity available from the Tevatron utilizing the Main Injector, while some require this increase. Finally, some of the experiments would use the Main Injector low energy, high intensity extracted beams directly. A program of electroweak and hard scattering experiments at fixed target energies retains the potential for important contributions to physics. The key to major parts of this program would appear to be the existence of the Main Injector. 115 refs, 17 figs.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 02/01/1990., "fnal/c-90/37", " anl-hep-cp--90-24", " conf-890872--9", "DE90009079", Workshop on physics at Fermilab in the 1990's, Breckenridge, CO (USA), 15-24 Aug 1989., and Brown, C.N.; Montgomery, H.E.; Brock, R.; Corcoran, M.D.
- Funding Information:
- AC02-76CH03000 and W-31109-ENG-38
View MARC record | catkey: 14715201