Hadronic multiplicity distributions [electronic resource] : the negative binomial and its alternatives
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1986. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 12 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- We review properties of the negative binomial distribution, along with its many possible statistical or dynamical origins. Considering the relation of the multiplicity distribution to the density matrix for boson systems, we re-introduce the partially coherent laser distribution, which allows for coherent as well as incoherent hadronic emission from the k fundamental cells, and provides equally good phenomenological fits to existing data. The broadening of non-single diffractive hadron-hadron distributions can be equally well due to the decrease of coherence with increasing energy as to the large (and rapidly decreasing) values of k deduced from negative binomial fits. Similarly the narrowness of e/sup +/-e/sup -/ multiplicity distribution is due to nearly coherent (therefore nearly Poissonian) emission from a small number of jets, in contrast to the negative binomial with enormous values of k. 31 refs.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1986., "la-ur-86-1540", " conf-8603119-2", "DE86011266", 21. Rencontre de Moriond: strong interactions and gauge theories conference, Les Arcs, France, 16 Mar 1986., and Carruthers, P.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14715252