Afro-Jewish encounters : from Timbuktu to the Indian Ocean and beyond / William F. S. Miles ; with a foreword by Ali A. Mazrui
- Miles, William F. S.
- Princeton : Markus Wiener Publishers, 
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 232 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Part I. Preface and acknowledgments: the Africanization of an Ashkenazic Jew -- Jewish in West Africa and West African in Israel -- Legacy of the rabbi of Timbuktu in the age of Al-Qaeda: an interview with Ismaël Diadié Haïdara -- Semitic surprises in Sufi Senegal -- Jewish in Muslim Black Africa -- Black African Muslim in the Jewish state: lessons of colonial Nigeria for contemporary Jerusalem -- "Take me to your leader": a Jerusalem story -- T/sadaka by the Sahara: birth gifts, Bar Mitzvah projects, and the rabbi's well -- Luxury matzah -- Reburying my father in Africa -- Kaddish for my Muslim chief -- Hanukkah in Hausaland (with Arielle P. Miles) -- Horse inheritance, Jewish soul -- Passover reflections on a Saharan genocide -- The Jewishness of Nehemia Levtzion's legacy -- Among the "Jubos" on the Festival of Lights -- Part II. Beyond West Africa -- African Judaism, race, romance, and my mother: a review of Edith Bruder's the Black Jews of Africa and Richard Hull's Jews and Judaism in African history -- Notes from a haunting conference: Rwanda -- Israelite in Kenya: father-daughter ruminations (with Arielle P. Miles) -- Holocaust education in an African museum: reflections following a 2002 visit to South Africa -- Jewish in Mauritius: from Hebrew to Hindi -- Jews in paradise: Indian Ocean encounters on Réunion and Île Maurice -- Interned and buried: British Mauritius and the Holocaust -- French West Indies I: the Jews file -- French West Indies II: Aimé Césaire and my Jewish question -- The "White house" of Judaism: under renovation, new hues may apply -- Ethiopian in the Negev: a minor rescue story -- Tropical seders.
- 9781558765818 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1558765816 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9781558765825 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1558765824 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 221-229).
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Floyd B. and Naomi A. Fischer Libraries Endowment; 2014
- Endowment Note:
- Floyd B. and Naomi A. Fischer Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 14716925