The ages of The Avengers : essays on the earth's mightiest heroes in changing times / edited by Joseph J. Darowski
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vi, 196 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Darowski, Joseph J.
- The Cuban Missile Crisis in Four Colors: "The Avengers Meet... 'Sub-Mariner'!" as an Allegory to Armageddon / Liam Webb -- "The Avengers always stand ready to do their part": The Avengers and the Vietnam War / Lori Maguire -- "The Kree-Skrull War" and the Growth of Uncertainty in the Cold War Era / Paul R. Kohl -- Earth's Mightiest (Dysfunctional) Family: The Evolution of The Avengers Under Jim Shooter / Jason Sacks -- Madonna's Birth and God's Death: Marvel Comics, the Death of God Movement, and the Religious Climate of the 1970s / Nathan Gibbard -- "The Korvac Saga": Exiles from Reason and Fragments of a Contemporary Mythology / Giacomo Matteo Miniussi, translated by Laurie Schwartz -- Stung by Stigmatization: Yellowjacket and Wasp Dis/Reassembled in the Age of Reagan / Peter W. Lee -- Everything Old Is New Again: Figuring Out Who the Enemy Is in the 1980s / Jason LaTouche -- The Earth's Mightiest Heroes and America's Post-Cold War Identity Crisis / John Darowski -- The Spy King: How Christopher Priest's Version of the Black Panther Shook Up Earth's Mightiest Heroes / Todd Steven Burroughs -- The Ultimates as Superheroes in the Age of Social Media and Celebrity / Morgan B. O'Rourke -- "No!" Great Lakes Avengers and the Uses of Enfreakment / Jose Alaniz -- The Uncivil Debate Within Marvel's Civil War / Mark Edlitz -- Islamic Invaders: Secret Invasion and the Post-9/11 World of Marvil / Dyfrig Jones -- "The one with the kids on the island": Avengers Arena and Teenage Dystopian Fiction / Joseph J. Darowski.
- "This collection of fresh essays by popular culture scholars examines Avengers story lines such as the Korvac Saga, Civil War, and Secret Invasion, and scrutinizes key characters including the Black Panther and Hank Pym. Essays explore how real-world events such as Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam War, end of Cold War, and 9/11 influenced popular entertainment in America"--
- 9780786474585 (softcover : alk. paper)
0786474580 (softcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14718288