A National Collaboratory to Advance the Science of High Temperature Plasma Physics for Magnetic Fusion [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science, 2012.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 31 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- General Atomic Company
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- This report summarizes the work of the National Fusion Collaboratory (NFC) Project to develop a persistent infrastructure to enable scientific collaboration for magnetic fusion research. The original objective of the NFC project was to develop and deploy a national FES Grid (FusionGrid) that would be a system for secure sharing of computation, visualization, and data resources over the Internet. The goal of FusionGrid was to allow scientists at remote sites to participate as fully in experiments and computational activities as if they were working on site thereby creating a unified virtual organization of the geographically dispersed U.S. fusion community. The vision for FusionGrid was that experimental and simulation data, computer codes, analysis routines, visualization tools, and remote collaboration tools are to be thought of as network services. In this model, an application service provider (ASP provides and maintains software resources as well as the necessary hardware resources. The project would create a robust, user-friendly collaborative software environment and make it available to the US FES community. This Grid's resources would be protected by a shared security infrastructure including strong authentication to identify users and authorization to allow stakeholders to control their own resources. In this environment, access to services is stressed rather than data or software portability.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Wallace, G.; Greenwald, M. J.; Li, K.; Keahey, K.; Stillerman, J.; Abla, G.; Papka, M. E.; Feibush, E.; Schissel, David P.; Burruss, J. R.; Fredian, T. W.; Goode, M. M.; Leggett, T.; McCune, D. C.; Randerson, L.; Sanderson, A.; Thompson, M. R.; Uram, T.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Final; 08/01/2001 - 07/31/2007
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14737056