Drift Mode Calculations in Nonaxisymmetric Geometry [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1999. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 354 Kilobytes pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- A fully kinetic assessment of the stability properties of toroidal drift modes has been obtained for nonaxisymmetric (stellarator) geometry, in the electrostatic limit. This calculation is a comprehensive solution of the linearized gyrokinetic equation, using the lowest-order ''ballooning representation'' for high toroidal mode number instabilities, with a model collision operator. Results for toroidal drift waves destabilized by temperature gradients and/or trapped particle dynamics are presented, using three-dimensional magnetohydrodynamic equilibria generated as part of a design effort for a quasiaxisymmetric stellarator. Comparisons of these results with those obtained for typical tokamak cases indicate that the basic trends are similar.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/01/1999., "pppl-3354", " de-ac02-76cho3073", "DE-AC02-76CHO3073", W.A. Cooper; W.M. Tang; G. Rewoldt; L.-P. Ku., and Princeton Plasma Physics Lab., NJ (US)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14740379