Orbit width scaling of TAE instability growth rate [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1995. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 34 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Texas at Austin, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The growth rate of Toroidal Alfven Eigenmodes (TAE) driven unstable by resonant coupling of energetic charged particles is evaluated in the ballooning limit over a wide range of parameters. All damping effects are ignored. Variations in orbit width, aspect ratio, and the ratio of alfven velocity to energetic particle birth velocity, are explored. The relative contribution of passing and trapped particles, and finite Larmor radius effects, are also examined. The phase space location of resonant particles with interact strongly with the modes is described. The accuracy of the analytic results with respect to growth rate magnitude and parametric dependence is investigated by comparison with numerical results.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/01/1995., "doe/et/53088--714", " ifsr--714", "DE97002352", and Berk, H.L.; Breizman, B.N.; Wong, H.V.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14744080