Multiple-gap theory of toroidal Alfven waves with kinetic effects [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (20 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Texas at Austin
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The stability of kinetic toroidal Alfven waves with multi-gap coupling is analyzed by using the two-dimensional ballooning transform. An alternate convergence scheme, based on the smallness of the inverse aspect ratio, is devised. The resulting wave functions are oscillatory and do not balloon in contrast to the wave functions of conventional ballooning theory. It is shown that the single-gap theory is a special, weak shear (s → 0) limit of the formalism. Analytical and numerical results for the two fundamental branches, the ideal toroidal Alfven eigenmode (TAE), and the kinetic toroidal Alfven eigenmode (KTAE) are presented and discussed.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Zhang, Y.Z.; Zhang, X.D.; Mahajan, S.M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14747367