Physics-magnetics trade studies for tandem mirror reactors [electronic resource].
- Livermore, Calif : Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1985.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 7 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We describe and present results obtained from the optimization package of the Tandem Mirror Reactor Systems Code. We have found it to be very useful in searching through multidimensional parameter space, and have applied it here to study the effect of choke coil field strength and net electric power on cost of electricity (COE) and mass utilization factor (MUF) for MINIMARS type reactors. We have found that a broad optimum occurs at B/sub choke/ = 26 T for both COE and MUF. The COE economy of scale approaches saturation at quite low powers, around 600 MW(e). The saturation is mainly due to longer construction times for large plants, and the associated time related costs. The MUF economy of scale does not saturate, at least for powers up to 2400 MW(e).
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:ucrl-92098
E 1.99: conf-850310-57
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
6. topical meeting on the technology of fusion energy, San Francisco, CA, USA, 3 Mar 1985.
Campbell, R.B.; Perkins, L.J.; Blackfield, D.T.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14748081