Electron temperature profiles in high power neutral-beam-heated TFTR (Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor) plasmas [electronic resource].
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University, 1987. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 15 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Princeton University and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- In 1986, the maximum neutral beam injection (NBI) power in the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor (TFTR) was increased to 20 MW, with three beams co-parallel and one counter-parallel to I/sub p/. TFTR was operated over a wide range of plasma parameters; 2.5 < q/sub cyl/ < 10, and 2 x 10/sup 19/ < anti n/sub e/ < 7 x 10/sup 19/ m/sup -3/. Data bases have been constructed with over 600 measured electron temperature profiles from multipoint TV Thomson scattering which span much of this parameter space. We have also examined electron temperature profile shapes from electron cyclotron emission at the fundamental ordinary mode and second harmonic extraordinary mode for a subset of these discharges. In the light of recent work on ''profile consistency'' we have analyzed these temperature profiles in the range 0.3 < (r/a) < 0.9 to determine if a profile shape exists which is insensitive to q/sub cyl/ and beam-heating profile. Data from both sides of the temperature profile (T/sub e/(R)) were mapped to magnetic flux surfaces (T/sub e/(r/a)). Although T/sub e/(r/a), in the region where 0.3 < r/a < 0.9 was found to be slightly broader at lower q/sub cyl/, it was found to be remarkably insensitive to ..beta../sub p/, to the fraction of NBI power injected co-parallel to I/sub p/, and to the heating profile going from peaked on axis, to hollow. 10 refs., 8 figs.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 09/01/1987., "pppl-2474", " conf-870629-12", "DE88003459", 14. European conference on controlled fusion and plasma physics, Madrid, Spain, 22 Jun 1987., and Fredrickson, E.D.; Zarnstorff, M.C.; Goldston, R.J.; Taylor, G.; Stauffer, F.J.; Grek, B.; Wieland, R.M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14750805