Theory of universal eigenmodes in a sheared magnetic field [electronic resource].
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University, 1978. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 16 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Princeton University and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Collisionless drift-wave eigenmodes in a sheared magnetic field are analyzed using the WKBJ method. It is found that, for L/sub s//L/sub n/ > (L/sub s//L/sub n/)/sub c/, ion-sound dynamics determines the eigenvalues at small k/sup 2//sub y/ and the eigenmodes are damped. However, at large k/sup 2//sub y/ electron dynamics dominates and the eigenmodes become marginally stable. For L/sub s//L/sub n/ < (L/sub s//L/sub n/)/sub c/, the eigenmodes are damped for all values of k/sup 2//sub y/. The critical value (L/sub s//L/sub n/)/sub c/ scales as (m/sub i//m/sub e/)/sup 1/4/.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 05/01/1978., "pppl-1446", and Chen, L.; Kaw, P.K.; White, R.B.; Oberman, C.; Guzdar, P.N.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14751954